Image Map

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Quick, Cheap, and EASY classroom decor


Welcome to the 3rd installment of Bright Ideas. A group of about 150 teachers is taking back teacher blogs by providing YOU with FREE tips that you can start using in your classroom. If you would like to view the two previous Bright Idea posts click below. 

Funny Encouragement Ecard: Does anyone else feel like they might just break even on their teaching salary after spending all of this money getting our classrooms ready ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

My post is going to teach QUICK, EASY, and CHEAP ways to add a little flare to your room. 
I use the bins that your see below, for group materials. I hated how they looked, but LOVED how they functioned. The whole process took my 10 minutes for each bin. 




Here are the basics of what you need: Hot glue gun is a must and the glue is a must. I used the spray Elmer's Craft Glue. It works REALLY well. Caution, use the spray glue outside. I also have basic paper. It came in pack. It is card stock. I found some glitter tape (which now I'm addicted to, because it is awesome). Some extras are: duct tape, owl stickers, chalkboard stickers (not pictured here).

Cut the paper to the size you need for the bin. I found that it was best to cut to the exact height.
 Spray the glue to the area that you are ready to glue down to at that moment.
Apply some hot glue over the glue you just sprayed. Glue in various spots. 
 Apply paper. For these bins, I had to overlap the paper.
 This was the BEST part for me. Glitter tape! All you do is peel and stick. No glue required!
 Peel as you go around your bin. It is super easy to do. Press firmly on the tape.
 I used duct tape to cover the handle and the middle parts. I found glitter duct tape and tried to use that. It didn't work. Glitter duct tape does not stick. I had to apply hot glue to make it stick. However, the tape used above, stuck well.


I'd love to see what you create! Share in the comments below. 

One last SUPER quick, easy, and cheap trick. 


All you need  is Popsicle sticks and duct tape. Wrap the tape around the sticks and press firmly. I use these for numerous things in my room. The possibilities are endless!

If you liked this post, please consider following the bright ideas Pinterest board.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my post! I would love it if you shared some love in the comments section!





7 comments:

  1. ah! I love this! I would love to be a part of this link up next time! What a GREAT idea!

    xo!
    Elizabeth

    MissVericker'sAdventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing what you can do with duct tape? It makes everything nicer!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got rid of a few of those plain tubs because I hated the look of them. I LOVE the way you jazzied them up! I'm going to have to head to the dollar store. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary-Fabulous idea - your classroom is the perfect environment to promote creativity in your students. Miss you! Please tell your students I miss them, too! Mrs. K-W

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUCH a cute idea! Seems like a labor of love :) Cute blog!! I am your newest follower... So here's a award for you- The sunshine blogger award! Check out my blog to see what you do next! : ) http://thirdinhollywood.blogspot.com/

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking for articles on uses of masking tape and I came across yours inspiring read. You indeed gave me some interesting ideas. Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete